2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 2 Apr 2003 19:09:28 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Environmental proposals concern some lawmakers

THE HILL
April 2, 2003
Environmental proposals concern some lawmakers
By Melissa Seckora

A Pentagon proposal that seeks to change existing environmental laws to
ensure military preparedness has divided lawmakers, some of whom
question whether the changes are too broad and would exempt the Pentagon
from some environmental laws.

“Thus far, the Department of Defense has not demonstrated any
justification for such broad, sweeping and permanent exceptions from
environmental laws, “ said Sen. James Jeffords (I-Vt.), ranking member
of the Environment and Public Works Committee, which has jurisdiction
over the proposed initiative.

While aides say it is unclear whether the panel will take action,
another committee involved in the process, Senate Armed Services
committee, heard testimony this week on the impact of current
environmental laws on military readiness and the administration’s
related legislative proposals.

The hearings raised the possibility that that panel would decide the
future of the Defense Department package, which is designed to protect
against what the Pentagon calls “encroachment-induced” restrictions that
limit preparations for combat.

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), a member of both the Environment and Armed
Services committees, disagreed with Jeffords. “Now more than ever, we
must assure that our men and women in uniform are properly prepared and
have full access to our nation’s training ranges,” Cornyn told the Hill.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.thehill.com/news/040203/environmental.aspx