2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: info@cswab.com
Date: 4 Apr 2003 16:25:50 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: RE: [CPEO-MEF] Company wants to set up munitions plant in West Valley

Hi Peter,
I could not open the attached file so I don't know if the following will
be of interest or applicable.

In 1983 & 1984, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources considered
and approved the burning of oil and organic solvents in fuel oil fired
boilers at Badger Army Ammunition Plant.  The material was waste from
machine shop activities.  Beginning in 1980, approximately 300 gallons
of waste oil and 1 gallon of organic solvents were burned annually.  The
solvents reportedly were paint thinners.  The WDNR's decision was based
on a section within Wisconsin Administrative Code that concerns the
"beneficial use" of a hazardous waste; the action was deemed "exempt"
from air pollution control permit requirements.  I checked our records
here and found that lead levels in waste oil were detected as high as
1,540 ppm.  The primary fuel utilized in Badger's boilers was No. 6 fuel
oil.  We also noted that according to the WDNR's approval letter, there
was "no set ratio of waste oil to No. 6 fuel oil".  I could not
determine, based on a records search here, whether or not this practice
continues today.

Are other munitions materials being similarly disposed of?  Do these
"backdoor" hazardous waste disposal methods also avoid triggering
otherwise applicable regulation, reporting, and permitting requirements?

Laura

--
Laura Olah, Executive Director
Citizens for Safe Water Around Badger