2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: uxogypfy@bellsouth.net
Date: 9 Apr 2003 18:34:03 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Military readiness

Hi Peter!

As always, I enjoy listening to you...hope all is well with you.  Normally I
sit a while before responding but I feel I must reply promptly.  Thank you
for speaking about another side of 'new technology' that you are familiar
with which points out another 'road block' to 'new' technology.  I, too, am
a member of one of ITRC's groups (UXO).  Thank you for saying there are not
enough stakeholders involved.

I can only share what I experienced while a RAB member of Camp Bonneville's
BRAC regarding talking with the local politicians about 'newer technology'.
I had posed during a meeting that they 'look around the country' and see
which sites had 'proven results' and act upon that accordingly to the issues
surround CB.  I was told they would ONLY use technologies within the state
of WA which left me speechless and dumbfounded.  So I can 'concur' with your
assessment about the 'fear' of newer technologies.  On the other hand, there
are sites with 'proof' but I will let others with the expertise speak about
that.

As you talk about 'realistic' expectations, I feel that is what I am
attempting to do.  How many years has this land lived with chemical
contamination?  How many years have the military and politicians and
regulators known of the fallout of certain chemicals?  My 'patience' is
wearing thin with realistic expectations Peter.  Cluster illnesses are not
going away and as a mother of six and a grandmother of 4, with I'm sure many
more children to follow, I am more concerned with their health and safety
than some politician's fear (that is for a psychologist to deal with-not
community members).  To share a quote - no guts no glory!

Take Care.....
Stella