2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 18 Apr 2003 16:58:49 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Farmview developer appeals ZBA decision

Massachusetts
UPPER CAPE CODDER
Farmview developer appeals ZBA decision
By Marcia Kozubek / mkozubek@cnc.com
Wednesday, April 16, 2003

Michael Howland, of the Howland Development Corp., will appear before a
housing appeals committee today to seek a ruling on whether he can build
Farmview Estates in Forestdale.

The Sandwich Board of Appeals rejected the developer's request for a
comprehensive permit last October, saying the application did not meet
the criteria for a Chapter 40B affordable housing development.

Boston attorney Brian Hurley, who represents Howland Development, said
his client met the criteria for 40B. "This isn't a lawsuit. We thought
we met the criteria. The board of appeals thought we didn't," Hurley
said.

"So, the developer is appealing to the Housing Appeals Committee of the
Department of Community Development. It is an administrative appeals
board that makes rulings in these cases," Hurley said, adding, "We want
to see if the board of appeals decision outweighs the undisputed need
for affordable housing in Sandwich."

Hurley said Farmview will be the subject of a series of hearings before
people who are extremely knowledgeable in the area of affordable
housing. The first hearing took place in February. The second hearing
takes place today in Boston, he said.

Howland had hoped to build 79 single-family homes at the Farmview site
off Snake Pond Road. His firm applied for 40B status, promising that 20
of the houses would be affordable.

Neighbors voiced concerns at public hearings last winter about possible
contamination in the wooded area, formerly a dump site. In the fall,
members of the zoning board said they voted down the project mainly
because the development would be too close to Otis Air Force Base. Noise
from jets taking off and landing at the base would be too loud for the
neighborhood, they said.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.townonline.com/bourne/news/local_regional/ucc_newucsfarmview04162003.htm