2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 30 Apr 2003 15:31:21 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Man finds 2nd live WWII-era shell

North Carolina
HERALD SUN
Man finds 2nd live WWII-era shell
By Hunter Lewis : The Herald-Sun
hlewis@heraldsun.com
Apr 29, 2003 : 10:14 pm ET

ROUGEMONT -- Tailing a stray cat, Wyatt Blaylock took a blind leap
across the small creek behind his Rougemont home last week and landed
with both feet on top of a live World War II-era shell packed with
explosives.

The 105 mm shell did not explode, and Blaylock was not hurt. It was the
second live shell Blaylock has found on his 10 rural acres since
September. A Fort Bragg explosives team detonated both shells at the
nearby National Guard training center.

"When we bought [the property], we thought, ‘what a great place to have
kids,’ " said Blaylock’s wife, Amy. "Now we’re afraid to have children
there. We love the property, but it’s a nightmare. We couldn’t sell it
if we wanted to."

The Blaylocks’ story is a familiar one. Since 2001, residents and the
Army Corps of Engineers have found more than a dozen live explosives and
hundreds of bullet and shell fragments in the forests and fields near
where Person, Granville and Durham counties meet.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.herald-sun.com/durham/4-347399.html