2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 19 May 2003 19:56:10 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] A potential toxic 'jackpot'

Maryland
SUNSPOT
A potential toxic 'jackpot'
Find: A biologist's chance discovery along the banks of Kings Creek at
Aberdeen Proving Ground could spark a major cleanup. By Lane Harvey
Brown
Originally published May 18, 2003

Biologist Jason Ebrite was inspecting the red-clay shoreline of Kings
Creek at Aberdeen Proving Ground recently when he spotted something that
would capture any archaeologist's imagination: worn crates of neatly
stacked and packed glass bottles, some spilling from under the eroded
shoreline and into the water.

The find in the proving ground's Edgewood area hinted at a dangerous
past and pointed to a potential emergency.

"That's clearly what this was," Ebrite said. "Chemists made a concerted
effort to dispose of them in an organized manner at a time when most
things went down the drain."

"They could be benign," Ebrite said, "but it's highly unlikely."

The find has sparked a new project at APG, the Kings Creek Time-Critical
Removal Project, which entered its second phase last week as workers
prepared to peel back grass to try to determine the extent of the
toxic-waste burial.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.sunspot.net/news/local/harford/bal-ha.kings18may18.story