2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 11 Jul 2003 16:00:04 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Military bases on guard for closures

The following response was posted by Anne Snow <frosty@wn.com.au>

further down this article it says

"Marcus Corbin, senior analyst with the non-profit Center for Defense
Information, a Pentagon watchdog founded by retired military officers,
said a trend toward "forward deployment" also threatens domestic
aircraft carrier bases. The Navy wants to shrink travel time by
stationing ships closer to the action. Guam and Hawaii are frequently
mentioned as bases, Corbin said."

it is not only Guam and Hawaii !

both the Abe Lincoln and the Carl Vinson now seem to have a "second
home" "defacto base" in Western Australia .......

The Vinson is here now training just 5 miles from my home in a town
named Lancelin!

we dont want any military training here but - no offense intended - we
particularly dont want foreign forces here ........ our own Navy is
quite capable of destroying our fragile environment and making our
community sick all on it's own *sarcasm*

last sunday we had Dr Doug Rokke, former US Army Major and head of the
Pentagon’s Depleted Uranium Project visit Lancelin.

he conformed our worse fears saying that he believed Lancelin  has been
“chosen” to replace Vieques as a training ground for the US military.

visit www.seaswap.org for more information

if you want to keep those ships based in the USA download the McGowan
report ...... it details how a delagation from our state hovt visited
the USA last year and had talks with some of your admirals and companies
about ways to circumvent your Title ten" laws  and do  maintenence work
on US naval ships in Fremantle

if you want more information please contact me

Anne Snow