2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 11 Jul 2003 17:52:11 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Australia

I'd like to clarify one aspect of the U.S. Navy's activities in
Australia. The Navy may be increasing its use of Australian bases and
ranges, and there may environmental consequences.

However, it's my understanding that the Australian activity is
associated with the Pacific Fleet, while Vieques historically has been
used by the Atlantic Fleet. Thus, I believe that it is mistaken to
conclude that the increased Australian activity results from the closure
of the Vieques ranges. I associate it,  instead, with the high level of
continuing Naval operations in support of U.S. military ventures in
Central Asia.

Lenny