2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: dickboyd@aol.com
Date: 18 Jul 2003 14:57:11 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Battling the Inland Sea

In a message dated 7/18/2003 3:51:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
cpeo-military@igc.topica.com writes:

> The Environmental Protect Agency announces it will not set a national
> drinking water standard for so-called perchlorate pollution.

Robert Kelley wrote a book called "Battling the Inland Sea". In the book, Mr.
Kelley describes two schools of thought. Laissez Faire Democrats and Central
Control Republicans. The common theme in both camps is that a person can do
whatever he wants with his property.

Mr. R on the west bank of the Sacramento builds a levee and dams off a slough
in the name of central control. The result is that Mr. D on the east bank
gets flooded even worse in the next rainy season. Mr. D responds by building a
higher levee and damming off a slough in the name of individual rights. The
Sacramento River responds by flooding Mr. I in the city of Sacramento before
washing out both levees and both dams.

Mr. R who claims to be in favor of central control backpedals and joins the
camp of Mr. D. Every man for himself, claiming there is no flood problem. Mr. D
who claims to be in favor of every man for himself, pleads for control of the
insane water wars. Mr. I continues to get flooded and wonders where all the
water is coming from.

Is there a parallel with the present day approach to perchlorate? Only time
and the writing of history can answer that question. Will the Midas touch be
replaced with the "Dubwa" touch or the "Cheney" touch or the "Christine" touch?

Only time and the writing of history will answer that question. Until then,
continue to make insane profits by throwing your garbage over the fence so
someone else has to pay for the clean up. Or better yet, they don't clean it up
and the payment comes in the form of sick people. Full employment in the medical
profession.

Was that remark too sarcastic? I better watch what I say, even Larry S. won't
publish this.

Remember what "Engine Charley" Wilson said. "What's good for GM is good for
the country." Or was that Daddy Warbucks that said that?

Also remember that friendly fire ain't. Even if the friendly fire takes years
to kill you. Win the battle at all costs only to lose the war at great cost.
Remember Pyrrhus?