2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 22 Jul 2003 15:52:43 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Mukilteo opposes SBX radar

Washington
MUKILTEO HERALD
Mukilteo opposes SBX radar
By Lukas Velush
Published: Tuesday, July 22, 2003
The City Council votes 4-1 to oppose docking the 250-foot-tall missile
defense platform in Port Gardner Bay.

MUKILTEO -- Saying that it should be placed in a less populated
location, the City Council voted Monday to oppose locating a massive
missile defense system in Port Gardner Bay.

The U.S. Department of Defense is considering docking its 250-foot-tall,
$900 million floating missile-defense radar platform in the water just
off the Port of Everett.

The port is less than 10 miles from Old Town Mukilteo, close enough to
be seen from the city.

Councilwoman Eileen Hinds led the bid to go on record as being opposed
to the radar system.

"I just think there are too many unanswered questions," she said, adding
she wonders what it would do to computer systems and emergency response
broadcasting systems.

"Lacking those answers, I can't see any compelling reasons to put this
in a populated area when there are plenty of unpopulated areas
available," she said.

The council voted 4-1 to oppose the Sea-based Test X-band radar, with
John Sullivan voting no and Ken Kromann absent.

"I don't think we have sufficient information" from the Department of
Defense to make a decision, Sullivan said, adding he's not inclined to
tell another city -- Everett -- what to do.

The council had questions about what impact the radar would have on
local airports, public safety and on economic development.

This article can be viewed at:
http://heraldnet.com/Stories/03/7/22/17240019.cfm