2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 8 Aug 2003 17:32:49 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Judge rejects request to stop chemical weapons incineration

Alabama
BIRMINGHAM NEWS
Judge rejects request to stop chemical weapons incineration
By Jennifer C. Kerr
The Associated Press
8/8/03 12:35 PM

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A federal judge cleared the way Friday for the Army
to begin incinerating Cold War-era chemical weapons at a military
facility in Alabama, rejecting environmentalists' claims that the
process will endanger nearby residents.

U.S. District Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson denied a request from an
environmental group for a temporary restraining order to block the
startup of the incinerator at the Anniston Army Depot.

At a hearing, Jackson said the harm the plaintiffs claimed would come
from the incineration "is purely speculative at this time."

To view this article, copy and paste the following URL into your
browser:
http://www.al.com/newsflash/regional/index.ssf?/newsflash/get_story.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?j6942_BC_ChemicalWeapons&&news&newsflash-al