2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 14 Aug 2003 14:16:42 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Fort Dix cleanup gets additional funds

New Jersey
ALLENTOWN MESSENGER PRESS
Fort Dix cleanup gets additional funds
By: Sarah Winkelman
08/14/2003
The Air Force received federal funds to remove plutonium-tainted soil
from a drainage ditch in Plumsted Township.

PLUMSTED — Officials are unsure when cleanup of the BOMARC missile site
will be completed despite recently receiving additional funding for the
project after more toxic soil was discovered last month.

"The project actually was supposed to be finished last year, but with
the rain and the bad winter, it wasn't possible," Plumsted Deputy Mayor
Joe Przywara said. "Now, the end date will really depend on when the
military reactivates (Duratek's) contract."

The Air Force received $1.7 million in federal funds last week to remove
an additional 1,300 cubic yards of plutonium-tainted soil from a
drainage ditch that runs along both sides of Route 539.

The cleanup of the site originally was expected to cost $17 million
before the additional funds were requested to remove the remainder of
the material and have it transported to a storage facility in Utah.

Lt. Peter Hughes, a spokesman at McGuire Air Force Base, said Air Force
managers were in the process of negotiating and scheduling with
contractors to complete the work. The Air Force base has been in charge
of the cleanup effort.

"Of course we always hope the work will begin sooner rather than later,
but we don't have a time frame yet," he said.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1091&dept_id=425686&newsid=10000316&PAG=461&rfi=9