2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 14 Aug 2003 14:13:25 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Another war era relic goes up in smoke

Nebraska
GRAND ISLAND INDEPENDENT
Another war era relic goes up in smoke
CAAP's Load Line 2 burned
By Tracy Overstreet, toverstreet@theindependent.com
Published Thursday, August 14, 2003

Raccoons chewed through detonation cord and caused an hour-and-a-half
delay in the burning of Load Line 2 at the Cornhusker Army Ammunition
Plant west of Grand Island Wednesday morning.

"The problem with the wildlife you just can't do anything about," said
Mark Vess of MKM Engineers, the Stafford, Texas, firm hired to detonate
the load line as part of the plant clean up.

The load line was burned to ensure that residue from manufacturing
explosives during World War II, the Vietnam War and the Korean War was
destroyed and would pose no problems as the land is sold and placed back
on the tax rolls.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.theindependent.com/stories/081403/new_burn14.shtml