2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 25 Aug 2003 21:58:17 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Optimization at Moffett Field

In November, 2001 I commented positively on the Navy's "Guidance for
Optimizing Remedial Action Operation." See
http://www.cpeo.org/lists/military/2001/msg00568.html

In January, 2003 I described the National Research Council's report on
Adaptive Site Management, which took the concept of remedy review a step
further. See
http://www.cpeo.org/lists/military/2003/msg00065.html. (The report from
the NRC committee, upon which I served, is now available in paperback
from http://www.nap.edu/catalog/10599.html.)

I am pleased to report that the Navy is implementing its optimization
approach at my home base of Moffett Field. That is, it is working to
improve the performance of a major groundwater treatment system even
though that system is generally performing well.

In the "Final West-Side Aquifer Treatment System [WATS] Optimization
Work Plan," the Navy describes a series of field activities designed to
"increase efficiency and minimize operational costs for the treatment
system." The work plan calls for the collection of chemical and geologic
data, the installation of an additional extraction well in an area where
hydraulic control of the contamination plume is incomplete, and the
upgrading of the pumping system.