2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 25 Aug 2003 16:44:10 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Military Pitfalls

The following response was posted by Karen Kingston
<Karen4theCamp@cs.com>
A reply to The Columbian newspaper editorial, Vancouver Washington:

I have to say that I am embarrassed by the editor of my home town
newspaper,
The Columbian.  He is misinformed, and he has a top notch reporter there
inform him.
Clark County formed the Land Reuse Authority when Camp Bonneville
closed.

Clark County planned for children's overnight educational outings and
care, an
amphitheater, camping, retreat opportunities, hiking, and horseback
riding.
Clark County made these plans before they knew:  that UXO exists over
90% of
the 3800 acres, 840 acres is in a shell impact zone that cannot be
cleaned and will
be chain linked and razor-wired, the ground water is contaminated and a
contamination plume from a buried munition landfill is moving. Three
other
landfills have yet to be water or soil tested.
Did they re-group and re-plan?  Absolutely not!

Do they like the odds....cleanup of this heavily forested mountainous
Camp
Bonneville to 70%....or clear cut and obtain 90% cleanup?
Looking from the back at these odds....30% or 10% chance you will look
like
your in a Stallone movie while playing at a local park.
All this risk to children and unsuspecting adults......and America your
paying the
bill for Clark County!

In my opinion, Karen Kingston
Camp Bonneville RAB Co-Chair