2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 26 Aug 2003 15:17:32 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Haines pipeline area to be tested for Agent Orange

Alaska
JUNEAU EMPIRE
Haines pipeline area to be tested for Agent Orange
626-mile-long corridor sprayed with defoliant during the 1960s
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

HAINES - The Army Corps of Engineers plans to test for the carcinogen
dioxin next month along a pipeline corridor that once carried fuel from
Haines to Fairbanks.

The chemical is a byproduct of herbicides found in the defoliant known
as Agent Orange.

The testing was spurred by a state request after Army correspondence
surfaced in late 2002 confirming that in the 1960s the herbicide was
sprayed on the 626-mile-long pipeline's right of way to clear
vegetation.

The Corps of Engineers is testing at least 20 sites along the 324-mile
U.S. portion of the pipeline corridor this fall. Most of the samples
will come from Interior Alaska.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/082603/sta_haines.shtml