2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 29 Sep 2003 19:25:38 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] FY04 Appropriations for Environmental Restoration

Congress has passed the Fiscal Year 2004 Defense Appropriations Act.
Here are the environmental cleanup budgets from that legislation.
Remember that Base Realignment and Closure cleanup funding is included
in a separate Appropriations bill, Military Construction.

Army $396,018,000
Navy $256,153,000
Air Force $384,307,000
Defense-Wide $24,081,000
Formerly Used Defense Sites (FUDS) $284,619,000

For comparison purposes, here is a table we posted earlier this year.
Due to Senate interest, the FUDS budget was increased significantly, but
the other programs remained flat, declining slightly when adjusted for inflation.

The following table shows the President's Defense Environmental budget
request for Fiscal year 2004 and compares it to the current estimates
for spending in fiscal year 2003. For easiest reading, convert it to a
monospace font such as Courier. All figures are in US$ millions.

                          FY2003  FY2004
Environmental Restoration
   Army                     394     396
   Navy                     256     256
   Air Force                388     384
   Formerly Used Def.Sites  247     213
   Defense-Wide              23      24

In addition, the Act includes $18,430,000 for payment to Kaho'olawe
Island Conveyance, Remediation, and Environmental Restoration Fund.