2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 7 Oct 2003 17:09:34 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Officials: metal drums from Army Depot are harmless

Alabama
TUSCALLOSA NEWS
Officials: metal drums from Army Depot are harmless
October 06, 2003

Two 55-gallon drums from the Army's chemical weapons incinerator were
found dumped near Choccolocco Creek in Talladega County on Monday, but
officials said they pose no threat to the environment or residents.

The drums originally held bottled chemicals used in test burns,
incinerator officials said. They had been emptied and sent to a scrap
metal dealer for recycling - and how they ended up near U.S. 20 in
Munford remains a mystery.

"There was an understanding that the drums were not supposed to be sold
or distributed for any reason," Donovan Mager, spokesman for
Westinghouse Anniston, told The Anniston Star.

Westinghouse Anniston is the contractor running the incinerator at the
Anniston Army Depot, where the Army plans to destroy 2,254 tons of Cold
War-era nerve agent.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20031006/APN/310061040&cachetime=5