2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 7 Oct 2003 17:15:04 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Lawmakers Blast Air Force Over Lowry Asbestos Cleanup

Colorado
THE DENVER CHANNEL, ABC 7
Lawmakers Blast Air Force Over Lowry Asbestos Cleanup
October 7, 2003

DENVER -- Two members of Colorado's congressional delegation are
accusing the Air Force of ducking its responsibility for cleaning up
asbestos at the former Lowry Air Force Base.

Rep. Diana DeGette, a Democrat, and Rep. Bob Beauprez, a Republican,
said their meeting Monday with Air Force Assistant Secretary Nelson
Gibbs produced nothing.

The lawmakers and state health officials want the Air Force to pay at
least $4 million in the cleanup of asbestos at Lowry, where houses and
businesses are being built.

The asbestos was discovered in April in the soil where a hospital was
located at the former base, which straddles Denver and Aurora.

"We are sorry to report Assistant Secretary Gibbs didn't come with the
authority we asked him to come with today," DeGette said at a news
conference after Monday's meeting.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/2536522/detail.html