2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 21 Oct 2003 20:11:09 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Radium incident at Kelly AFB

Radium traces found at Kelly

By Jerry Needham
San Antonio Express-News

Web Posted : 10/18/2003 12:00 AM

The Air Force and the Texas Department of Health said Friday that they
are probing an incident in which Boeing Co. contractors dug beneath the
foundation of a hangar at KellyUSA and came into contact with piping and
soils containing radium paint.

The radioactive material was found at the site of a former paint shop,
where in the 1920s radium 226 was applied to aircraft instrument dials,
officials said.

Radium is a natural byproduct of uranium decay and is found in minerals,
including rocks made by volcanic action.

"We're still awaiting results of tests of the soil that the Air Force
sent out for analysis," said Bob Free, deputy director for emergency
response and investigation for the Health Department's Bureau of
Radiation Control in Austin.

Work on the project inside Hangar 361 at the former Kelly AFB stopped
Oct. 7 after the notification. But little was said about the matter
Friday.

Boeing and KellyUSA officials were mum on several issues, among them how
many workers may have been exposed to radiation and why the Air Force
failed to notify the company of the problem for two months.

See http://news.mysanantonio.com/story.cfm?xla=saen&xlc=1071216