2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 3 Nov 2003 17:54:09 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Contamination detected at former missile site

Colorado
NORTH FORTY NEWS
Contamination detected at former missile site
By Cherry Sokoloski
November 1, 2003

In the rolling hills near Ted's Place, Missile Site 13 could prove
unlucky for Toxey and Betty King. The Kings and many of their neighbors
on County Road 29C, also called the Old Missile Silo Road, are concerned
about possible well water contamination from a long-abandoned missile
site in the area.

Site 13 is one of five former Atlas E missile sites in Colorado--all in
Larimer and Weld counties--found to have soil and groundwater
contamination. Current investigations by the Army Corps of Engineers are
focused on determining the extent of that contamination, and to date, no
private wells have been found to be tainted.

However, the Kings aren't taking any chances. They received a letter in
late September from the Department of Defense, and they immediately
stopped using water from their well. "I definitely will not ever use it
again," said Toxey King, whose well is about 2,000 feet from the site.
"I think they're sincere, and they really want to clean it up," he
added, "but I know that water does seep downward, and I'm close enough
that I don't trust it not seeping in." King is now hauling drinking
water from Fort Collins to his home.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.northfortynews.com/News/20031101photoMissileSite.htm