2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 5 Nov 2003 18:39:13 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Opening of the Hunters Point Shipyard Community Information Center

Opening of the Hunters Point Shipyard Community Information Center

November 3, 2003
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

BAYVIEW CLEARINGHOUSE ON SHIPYARD CLEANUP OPENS NOVEMBER 6th
New Facility A National Model for Community Involvement in Superfund
Cleanup

Ribbon Cutting Grand Opening Press Event
November 6th at 11am at 4634 Third Street between Newcomb and McKinnon

For More Information Contact:  Saul Bloom or Lea Loizos
415-495-1786

Communities rarely get the opportunities like the one recently provided
Bayview Hunters Point by a project of Arc Ecology and the San Francisco
Department of the Environment. On November 6th, the City and Arc Ecology
will dedicate a state of the art information clearinghouse on the toxic
cleanup of the Hunters Point called the Window Project on Hunters Point
Naval Shipyard Superfund Cleanup.

Fitted with a comprehensive library of environmental cleanup documents
generated by the Navy, its contractors, as well as Federal and State
regulators, Bayview residents will no longer be in the dark about where
to go to learn about the biggest toxic waste cleanup program in San
Francisco.

“The site is much more than a library,” said Arc Ecology environmental
scientist Lea Loizos who will be one of the technical experts staffing
the information center.  “We have a computer center designed to access
online environmental resources, our own informational website and get
instant messages to the Navy, the regulators and the City.  It’s
information and
democracy at the push of a button.”

The site will also feature a rotating educational exhibition designed to
provide neighborhood residents with an orientation to the
Shipyard, the toxic pollution and the cleanup process.  It will have a
video section featuring training tapes on toxic cleanup.  Most
importantly it will have scientists on duty four days a week and
available to answer the public’s questions and respond to problems if
they arise.

“This is a tremendous step forward,” said District Ten Supervisor Sophie
Maxwell who was critical to getting the project off the
ground.  “None of the other thirty five communities in California
affected by a closing military base and its toxic cleanup can boast of a
similar effort to inform and involve their affected residents.  This is
an important event for the Bayview and environmental justice.”

“We are very excited to be a part of this project.” Said Jared
Blumenfeld, Director of San Francisco’s Environment Department. “It is a
demonstration of San Francisco’s concern about the health of Bayview
residents as well as
our environment, and is indicative of good things to come for the
neighborhood.”

The Window Project would like to thank Hunters Point Shipyard Master
Developer Lennar Corporation, for their generous donation of facility
improvements – including fixtures to help us become Americans with
Disabilities Act compliant.  A community get acquainted open house is
scheduled for November 7th at 6pm.