2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 11 Nov 2003 18:41:30 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Army seeks changes to permits at Newport Chemical Depot

Indiana
TRIBUNE-STAR
Army seeks changes to permits at Newport Chemical Depot
By Patricia L. Pastore
November 11, 2003

The Army is seeking modifications of three Resource Conservation and
Recovery Act permits at the Newport Chemical Depot.

A meeting is scheduled at 6:30 p.m. Thursday in the Newport Lions Club
for discussion and public comment concerning the requested permit
changes.

One of the changes deals with storage time for VX neutralization waste
and decontamination fluids at the Newport Chemical Agent Disposal
Facility.

The disposal facility permit modification request is to change four
existing waste tanks (expected to hold about 30,000 gallons of VX
hydrolysate and decontamination fluids) from less than 90-day storage to
greater than 90-day storage.

This meeting offers an excellent opportunity for anyone to ask questions
or air their concerns about the requested alterations, said Susan
Gilman, Newport Chemical Stockpile Outreach Office manager.

A second permit is for storage and treatment of wastes generated from
the demolition of the former VX production Facility at the Newport
Chemical Depot.

The former chemical agent complex comprised facilities for the four-step
production of the nerve agent VX. The facilities used in Steps O, I, II
and III produced chemicals that when combined, made the agent. Those
facilities associated with Step III manufactured the VX. The Army began
demolishing portions of the plant used for Steps I, II, and III in 1998.
Dismantling of the Step III facilities will complete the destruction of
the former VX production facility.

This modification requests storage of containerized and bulk wastes and
container treatment of wastes from the Step III demolition.

The Non-Stockpile Chemical Material Project provides centralized
management and direction for the disposal of non-stockpile chemical
material in a safe, environmentally sound and cost-effective manner,
Gilman said. The third modification deals with this Resource
Conservation and Recovery Act permit.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.tribstar.com/articles/2003/11/11/news/news05.txt