2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 12 Nov 2003 16:14:48 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Legislator's proposals 'proactive' in protecting state's bases

Hawai'i
THE HONOLULU ADVERTISER
Legislator's proposals 'proactive' in protecting state's bases
By William Cole
Posted on: Wednesday, November 12, 2003

State Rep. Cynthia Thielen plans to introduce five bills in January
aimed at helping protect Hawai'i military bases from any closures in
2005, in part by addressing the issue of "encroachment" — development
and environmental laws impacting bases.

"We need to be proactive, because if we don't protect military
installations from civilian encroachment, all of a sudden, we're going
to be faced with, 'These bases should be shut,' " said Thielen, R-50th
(Kailua, Mokapu).

Among the requirements would be the notification of military commanders
of proposed land-use changes within 3,000 feet of military land, the
need for an environmental assessment to see if the changes would affect
training, and proceedings before the Land Use Commission to determine
potential effects on bases.

Other states have hired lobbyists and are creating task forces to keep
Pentagon cost-cutters at bay. Hawai'i instead is relying largely on its
Washington delegation.

Four rounds of base closures between 1988 and 1995 saved $16 billion
through fiscal 2001, according to the Pentagon. Estimates are that the
Defense Department has 20 percent to 25 percent excess capacity.

Encroachment, which has become a bugaboo for the military, is expected
to be one factor in determining which bases should be shut down in 2005.

Navy Adm. William J. Fallon, who commands the Atlantic Fleet, told the
Senate Armed Services Committee in March that encroachment has increased
significantly over the past three decades.

"Training areas that were originally located in isolated areas are today
surrounded by recreational facilities, urban and suburban sprawl, and
constrained by state and federal environmental laws and regulations and
cumbersome permitting processes which negatively impact our ability to
train," Fallon said.

This article can be viewed at:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/Nov/12/ln/ln18a.html