2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 3 Dec 2003 02:28:43 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] U.S. Navy to clean eight areas in Vieques

I generally avoid commenting on inaccuracies in articles that we post,
but the errors in this one could be extremely confusing.

The Naval Ammunition Support Detachment covered the western third of the
Puerto Rican island of Vieques until the beginning of May, 2001, when
the Navy transferred the property. It was not a target range. The live
impact area was in the eastern portion of the island. The west side does
contain a former ordnance disposal area, but its environmental problems
pale in comparison to the Vieques range, which the Navy closed earlier
this year.

Lenny