2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 20 Jan 2004 02:32:55 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Treating groundwater by injecting iron

At Hunters Point Naval Shipyard in San Francisco, the Navy has
successfully demonstrated an innovative in situ technology for treating
trichloroethylene (TCE) in groundwater. Like the permeable reactive
barrier technology, which for several years now has been used to treat
contamination that flows through a barrier containing iron filings, the
new technology, Zero-Valent Iron Injection, uses iron to break down
chlorinated solvents. Reactive iron powder is injected, under pressure
from nitrogen gas, into the subsurface. According to the Navy, "Results
indicate that TCE concentrations in the treatment area were
significantly reduced in just three weeks." For details, see
http://www.efdsw.navfac.navy.mil/Environmental/pdf/hpnl1003.pdf.