2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 20 Jan 2004 15:14:02 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: This time, state plans to defend its bases

California
SACRAMENTO BEE
This time, state plans to defend its bases
New round of military closures looms and California is seeking to put up
a better fight.
By David Whitney
Sunday, January 18, 2004

WASHINGTON -- Haunted by losses of the past and fears for the future,
California is organizing as never before to fend off losing more
military bases and installations as preparations intensify for a 2005
round of closings.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger drew a line in the sand in his Jan. 6 State
of the State address.

"The Pentagon will make the next round of base closures in 2005," he
said. "This could mean thousands of lost jobs to California. These bases
are important to national defense, and they are important to our steady
economic recovery. As a state, we will fight to keep our bases open."

Republican Schwarzenegger is in lock step with the state's congressional
delegation, which met in Palm Springs last month to talk about the
threat ahead.

"There is no question that the Base Closure and Realignment Commission
process is our top priority," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif. "The
solidarity is 100 percent of the delegation. There is a very strong
sense that California has done its fair share."

Of course, fair may not be a revered goal in the base closing process,
especially for the 2005 round, which will be larger than the four that
preceded it in 1988, 1991, 1993 and 1995. The Pentagon is looking at
shuttering up to 25 percent of military installations around the
country, and because California still has 62 in operation, avoiding a
hit may be impossible.

According to an analysis by the state's Office of Military Support,
"California easily could lose nine major bases, six minor bases and
68,000 Department of Defense-related jobs."

That would be a blow that could torpedo hopes of the economic recovery
that Schwarzenegger is relying on to help lift the state out of its
budget mess.

This article can be viewed at:
http://sacbee.com/content/politics/story/8122988p-9055099c.html