2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Stella Bourassa <Stellalogic@cfl.rr.com>
Date: 3 Feb 2004 16:18:01 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Moving nerve gas waste is criticized

Did the Army 'give out this information willingly' or did someone have to
'go snooping around' to find it?  Kudos to the Army if they gave it out
willingly without someone having to 'snoop'.

Here in Florida, on our turnpike, we had a major accident with chemicals
being transported recently.  The wreck shut down the turnpike (not a good
thing around here) for over 12 hours while EOD crews showed up.  The driver
and his wife were seen 'running for their lives' immediately which caused
'questions' due to their truck being 'unmarked'.  The wreckage left behind
looked like something out of 'pictures of Iraq'.  Unfortunately, the story
was 'cut' quickly and without any further 'news articles' about the after
affects of the toxins going up in the air, those exposed to it, etc.

Based on the Army having it's 'way'-will these trucks be clearly marked?
Will it have 'protective trucks' surrounding those carrying these
chemicals-much like the secret service for the president?  Will those
trained in chemical disasters accompanied each convoy-just in case?  Will
each town be prepared by the Army 'just in case'?  How much, exactly, is the
life of the drivers worth and will the Army be willing to 'pay this salary'?
In regards to 'a worse case scenario', does the Army have the funds to
compensate the family of these drivers or those who would be exposed, hurt,
maimed or killed by being in the 'wrong place at the wrong time?'  I would
hope all 'those duckies' would be in order since 'financial feasiblity'
seems to be a 'hot topic' on cleanup.  I believe it should also be a 'hot
topic' to the health and safety of the environment and public.

Stella