2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 22 Mar 2004 20:16:06 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Halt to Makua exercise cuts off 'realistic training,' Army says

Graduate in less than 13 months with AIU's Online virtual
campus. Classrooms and student service as close as your
computer. Highly accredited, study anytime ? anywhere.
http://click.topica.com/caab2L5aVxieSa8wsBba/ AIU

Hawai'i
HONOLULU ADVERTISER
Halt to Makua exercise cuts off 'realistic training,' Army says
By Karen Blakeman
Posted on: Sunday, March 21, 2004

Military officials are reviewing a judge's order to halt a live-fire
exercise that had been planned for later this week in Makua Valley, an
Army spokesman said yesterday.

"The Army is disappointed with the court's decision to prevent Marines
from conducting live fire training in the Makua Military Reservation,"
Army spokesman Troy Griffin said in a written statement issued
yesterday.

A hearing is set for April 19 to determine if the restraining order
should be continued. The exercise was to have involved about 100 Marines
from the 3rd Marine Regiment. Their plan was to train with platoon-sized
groups using a variety of weapons, including 60 mm mortars.

"Our troops' first exposure to live fire must not come as they land on a
hostile beach or battlefield in combat," Griffin wrote. "Our men and
women in uniform must train as they fight, under realistic battle
conditions. Makua Military Reservation has been set aside specifically
for realistic training, and must be available for this purpose."

Griffin was responding to a temporary restraining order issued Friday by
U.S. District Judge Susan Oki Mollway after the group Malama Makua
argued that the training would be a fire hazard to endangered species in
the area.

This article can be viewed at:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Mar/21/ln/ln10a.html

Sign up to get FREE information from leading colleges!
Compare degrees, admissions, financial aid and more.
Study your career education options at
Collegeinformation.info.
http://click.topica.com/caab2McaVxieSa8wsBbf/ College Info