2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 22 Mar 2004 20:18:12 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: How closing bases can be good for our communities

Let University of Phoenix make 2004 your year. Evening,
weekend or FlexNet® classes ? over 130 locations. Look
into our programs and get the degree that gets you going!
http://click.topica.com/caab2L3aVxieSa8wsBba/ UOP

California
SACRAMENTO BEE
How closing bases can be good for our communities
Daniel Weintraub
Published 2:15 a.m. PST Sunday, March 21, 2004

MONTEREY - With the federal government poised to begin another round of
military base closures, California politicians from Gov. Arnold
Schwarzenegger on down are moving into position to argue against
shutting any of the state's 62 remaining military installations.

To do otherwise would be considered political suicide. Nobody ever got
elected by agreeing to move jobs, even low-paying government jobs, out
of their community.

But closing a military base and converting it to civilian use doesn't
have to be something to fear. True, in remote areas with little else
going for them, a base closure can be a local economic disaster that
creates a ghost town. In areas with more economic diversity, however,
the transformation, while still difficult, can be a good thing.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/columns/weintraub/story/8599088p-9527344c.html

INSTANT CAR INSURANCE QUOTE!
Save time, save money, and get the best deal.
Get quote, buy, and print insurance cards online!
http://click.topica.com/caabZujaVxieSa8wsBbf/ Insurance4usa.com