2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 12 Apr 2004 20:55:38 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: El Toro Sales to fund Navy BRAC cleanup?

Your opinion counts! We're conducting a survey for a
computer service/repair company. When you complete our
survey, you will also be entered into a drawing for one of
ten $100 prizes. Just click
http://click.topica.com/caab6PiaVxieSa8wsBba/ Val Rad
From: "Malewicz, Anne (DEP)" <Anne.Malewicz@state.ma.us>

What happens if the sale does not go thru as planned or hoped? What
funds do you have to keep the cleanup going? Just curious and I wish all
goes as planned.

> from Don Zweifel <dzweifel@sbcglobal.net>
>
> To all interested parties
>
> Be it hereby understood that yours truly promulgated the supposition
> regarding what I surmised the CNO iterated as to curtailing BRAC funding
> for FY 2005 as it pertains to augmenting the O & M set-aside for the war
> on terrorism.
>
> These remarks were based on whether the 2800 acres @ MCAS El Toro would
> be sold in the near term.
>
> Those proceeds were to be earmarked for BRAC funding for FY 2005 so that
> Congress won't have to be asked to fund them.
>
> I do assume full responsibility for these iterations.
>
> Don Zweifel
> Co-chair
> MCAS Tustin RAB
> To all interested parties
>
> Lenny Siegel wrote:
>
> > from Don Zweifel <dzweifel@sbcglobal.net>
> >
> > To all interested parties:
> >
> > The Department of the Navy/DON will not be asking Congress for Base
> > Realignment & Closure/BRAC funding for FY 2005 if proceeds from the sale
> > of 2800 acres @ former MCAS [Marine Corps Air Station] El Toro, Ca.
> > generates the approximately $1  billion as expected, according to MCAS
> > Tustin's BRAC Environmental  Coordinator, Jerry Dunaway
> > w/SWDIVNAVFACENGCMD.[Southwest Division, Naval Facilities Engineering
> > Command]
> >
> > The former base is scheduled to go on the auction block probably in the
> > next month or two.
> >
> > However paraphrasing Mr. Dunaway comments, pending lawsuits contesting
> > the planned reuse appear to be a potential fly in the ointment &
> > therefore may have to be settled a priori in order to allow the sale to
> > see the light of day in the near term.
> >
> > Operations & Maintenance/O & M costs associated w/continuing conflicts  in
> > the Middle East should have emergency priority over practically all
> > remediation & restoration funding from Congress for FY 2005,  paraphrasing
> > CNO/Chief of Naval Ops.
> >
> > Note: Mr. Dunaway is also RAB co-chair of former MCAS Tustin.
> >
> > Don Zweifel
> > RAB Co-chair
> > Former MCAS Tustin, Ca.

$6.95 .com Domain Name Sale!