2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 20 Apr 2004 08:02:08 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Maine view on RRPI

Bounces like rubber! Shatters like ceramic! Discover Crazy
Aaron's Thinking Putty in grown up handfuls. It's the
creativity unleashing, mood enhancing desk toy!
http://click.topica.com/caab8LdaVxieSbnA7rua/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises

Military seeks EPA exemption

By BART JANSEN,
Portland Press Herald (Maine)
April 19, 2004

WASHINGTON -- The Defense Department wants to avoid laws governing air
pollution, toxic waste and Superfund cleanups at hundreds of military
bases, but opponents warn that the proposals before Congress threaten
the health of neighbors in Maine and across the country. Last year, the
Pentagon won exemptions from 30-year-old laws protecting endangered
species and marine mammals. This year, military officials are asking for
relief from the Clean Air Act, the Resource Conservation and Recovery
Act and the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and
Liability Act.

The military doesn't want a toxic-waste designation to shut down any of
its training areas.

"We as a department cannot wait for a train wreck," said Paul Mayberry,
the deputy undersecretary of defense for readiness. "Past court cases
have threatened to close down our military training, and that readiness
risk is unacceptable whether we are a nation at war or a nation
preparing for war."

But for three years, Congress has rejected the latest requests under the
argument that training hasn't been hindered. Maine's entire
congressional delegation - Republican Sens. Olympia Snowe and Susan
Collins, and Democratic Reps. Tom Allen and Mike Michaud - opposes all
the provisions.

for the entire story, see
http://www.pressherald.com/news/state/040419exemption.shtml

MORTGAGE / REFINANCE RATES ARE LOW. ACT NOW!
3 Mortgage brokers compete for your business.
Great rates, no obligation, and easy form.
http://click.topica.com/caab6aaaVxieSbnA7ruf/ Insurance4usa.com