2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 11 May 2004 14:24:04 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Camp Lejeune panel

Let University of Phoenix make 2004 your year. Evening,
weekend or FlexNet® classes ? over 130 locations. Look
into our programs and get the degree that gets you going!
http://click.topica.com/caaccMPaVxieSa8wsBba/ UOP

Panel investigating water woes to visit Lejeune

Mike Sherrill
Freedom ENC - New Bern Sun Journal (NC)
May 10, 2004

CAMP LEJEUNE -- A military panel assembled to look into past drinking
water contamination on Camp Lejeune is scheduled to tour the base today.

Also, U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Dole asked Congress to allow the U.S.
Comptroller General to investigate the contamination, which is believed
to have ended in the mid-1980s. Dole, R-N.C., placed her request into
the U.S. Senate's 2005 Defense Authorization Bill.

"By reviewing the ongoing actions being pursued by the Marine Corps and
the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, the U.S.
Comptroller General and the General Accounting Office will shed more
light on the issues surrounding this matter and hopefully facilitate its
resolution," Dole said Friday through a spokeswoman.

The bill must be approved by both Congressional houses and wrangled in committees.

"It's a long process as with any bill," Dole spokeswoman Katie Norman said.

The military panel coming to Camp Lejeune has been criticized by Dole
and others because of members' ties to the military. It has been tasked
with reviewing decisions made concerning contaminated wells from 1980 to
1985. The contamination was discovered in 1980 but the wells serving
base housing areas weren't closed until 1985. The contaminants -- many
of them solvents linked to a dry cleaning operation -- have been linked
to cancers and other illnesses in children born at Lejeune during that
period and possibly before.

for the entire story, see
http://www.newbernsj.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?Template=/GlobalTemplates/Details.cfm&StoryID=15304&Section=Local

Domains as low as $4.95!