2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 20 May 2004 20:48:25 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Nevada Nuclear tests might resume

Graduate in less than 13 months with AIU?s Online virtual
campus. Classrooms and student service as close as your
computer. Highly accredited, study anytime ? anywhere.
http://click.topica.com/caaccM2aVxieSa8wsBba/ AIU

Nevada Nuclear tests might resume

By Joe Bauman and Lee Davidson
Deseret Morning News
May 20, 2004

New projects planned for the Nevada Test Site are raising concern that
nuclear bomb testing may resume there.

Local and national military watchdogs say all indications are that
President Bush, if re-elected, would begin testing some types of nuclear
weapons before the end of the decade at the NTS, located about 65 miles
northwest of Las Vegas and upwind of Utah.

"You put all the pieces of the puzzle together," said Steve Erickson,
director of the local Citizens Education Project, "and it leads to the
conclusion that yes, we may very well be on the road to a resumption of
nuclear testing."

Those concerns had Rep. Jim Matheson, D-Utah, trying to amend the annual
Defense Authorization Act this week to require clear permission from
Congress before such testing could resume. The GOP-controlled Rules
Committee blocked consideration of it.

"If this country is going to resume the testing of nuclear weapons, the
people's representatives - the U.S. Congress - should be involved,"
Matheson complained Wednesday in a speech to the full House.

for the entire article, see
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595064453,00.html

Apply now for a No-Annual-Fee Discover® Platinum Card
0% Intro APR*, No Annual Fee, Up to 2% Cashback Bonus®
award* Start Saving Today ? APPLY NOW! It's fast, easy and
secure.
http://click.topica.com/caacf0DaVxieSa8wsBbf/ Discover Card