2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 25 May 2004 15:18:14 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Where did the Berkshires perchlorate come from?

Graduate in less than 13 months with AIU?s Online virtual
campus. Classrooms and student service as close as your
computer. Highly accredited, study anytime ? anywhere.
http://click.topica.com/caaccM2aVxieSa8wsBba/ AIU

Perchlorate in Mt. Greylock wells fueling speculation about source

By Christopher Marcisz
Berkshire Eagle Staff (MA)
May 25, 2004 -

WILLIAMSTOWN -- While the public health and regulation debate rages at
the state and federal level, the perchlorate found in the wells at Mount
Greylock Regional High School early this month presents something of a
mystery. How did a chemical associated with rockets and ammunition find
itself in this corner of the Berkshires? And what will it take to fix
the problem?

The state Department of Environmental Protection has begun to
investigate these questions, but is far from any answers.

"We are still starting to look at the hydrology and geology of the area
for more information, and we're still in the preliminary stages," said
DEP spokeswoman Elizabeth Stinehart.

School officials are waiting for word from DEP about how to proceed,
according to Superintendent Mark Piechota. Until they hear otherwise,
the school will continue to use bottled water for drinking and cooking,
and there has been no discussion about what has caused it or what the
district will have to do to clean it up.

for the entire article, see
http://www.berkshireeagle.com/Stories/0,1413,101~7514~2169977,00.html

Looking for a Promotional or Marketing Gift? Discover
Crazy Aaron's Thinking Putty in grown up handfuls. It's
the creativity unleashing, mood enhancing desk toy
customized with your corporate image!
http://click.topica.com/caaceBcaVxieSa8wsBbf/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises