2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 10 Jun 2004 15:16:47 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Twin Cites property transfer

Apply now for a No-Annual-Fee Discover® Platinum Card
0% Intro APR*, No Annual Fee, Up to 2% Cashback Bonus®
award* Start Saving Today ? APPLY NOW! It's fast, easy and
secure.
http://click.topica.com/caaciqQaVxieSa8wsBba/Discover Card

Submited by Christine Ziebold <c_ziebold@yahoo.com>

Letter to the editor
Arden Hills Bulletin June 9, 2004.

I ask the Bulletin to investigate the US Army's intent to transfer a
113-acre portion of TCAAP [Twin Cities Army Ammunition Plant], the Rice
Creek corridor to Ramsey County via the National Park Service at no cost
but without public input. In February, the Army initiated a "regular
transfer" by filing a "Finding of Suitability of Transfer" (FOST) with
EPA and MPCA.

Why worry? It is unclear how contaminated the Rice Creek corridor is.
Congresswoman Betty Mc Collum wrote in a public letter last August that
"existing studies indicate that the land is free from contamination".
However, tests in adjacent areas found polyaromatic hydrocarbons, diesel
range organics and volatile organic compounds.

In order to protect the health and safety of the families of Arden Hills
and the wildlife habitat more information is needed. There is no such
thing as a "no cost" transfer. The price is likely payable in
compromised human health and diminished habitat quality for wildlife. In
the history of TCAAP there has been only ONE extremely limited health
statistics review in 1992, concerned with only ONE contaminant checking
ONLY for cancer as a health outcome. Even then the Health Department
admitted it needed more data.

Proper environmental characterization and hazard identification should
be done before any transfer is made. A stitch in time saves nine. This
is the message the city, the Army, MPCA and legislators need to hear.

I am a TCAAP community RAB member, pediatrician and public health
advocate with no affiliation with any of the parties involved."

Christine Ziebold,MD, Ph.D. MPH
Twin City Army Ammunition Plant
community RAB member

Let University of Phoenix make 2004 your year. Evening,
weekend or FlexNet® classes ? over 130 locations. Look
into our programs and get the degree that gets you going!
http://click.topica.com/caaciq1aVxieSa8wsBbf/UOP