2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 19 Jun 2004 18:56:54 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Hanford Sludge

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caaclxSaVxieSa8wsBba/OmahaSteaks

Sludge removal begins at Hanford

Starting work is 'a major accomplishment'

By SHANNON DININNY
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS (SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER)
June 19, 2004

YAKIMA -- Workers at the Hanford nuclear reservation have begun removing
radioactive sludge from pools of spent nuclear fuel, a move widely
considered a significant step forward in cleanup efforts at the
contaminated site.

The indoor pools of water, known as the K East and K West basins, once
held 2,300 tons of spent nuclear fuel about 400 yards from the Columbia
River. More than 90 percent of the fuel has been removed.

What remains in the basins is sludge from corroded spent nuclear fuel
stored in the huge water-filled basins, along with dust, dirt and
sloughed material from the basin walls.

Work on removing sludge began late Thursday, the Energy Department said.

"That's a major accomplishment for us. It's been difficult getting this
particular evolution under way, but yesterday we were able to pump our
first unit of sludge, and it's gone like clockwork and we're very
proud," said Keith Klein, the Energy Department's Richland operations manager.

The Energy Department missed a legal deadline established under the 1989
Tri-Party Agreement -- the legal pact governing cleanup at Hanford -- to
begin removing the sludge by Dec. 31, 2002.

for the entire article, see
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/178658_hanford19.html

Give Your Team Access to Their PCs from Anywhere. Increase
productivity with a secure remote-access solution from
GoToMyPC Pro. Stay in touch with your office. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaciqXaVxieSa8wsBbf/ExpertCity