2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 4 Aug 2004 13:46:12 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Samping required near Santa Susana Lab

Amazing Diet Patch
http://click.topica.com/caacvgtaVxieSbnA7rua/MyDietPatches

County Boosts Field Lab Testing
A new law requires builders planning homes near Rocketdyne site in the Simi Hills to check for contaminants.

By Amanda Covarrubias
Los Angeles Times
August 4, 2004

Ventura County supervisors approved an ordinance Tuesday requiring home developers to test for contaminants before building within two miles of the Rocketdyne field lab in the Simi Hills.

The ordinance was approved on a 3-2 vote over the objections of defense contractor Boeing, which owns the site, and Supervisors Judy Mikels and Kathy Long.

The critics said the ordinance was unnecessary because state and federal regulatory agencies already require extensive testing and the action would stigmatize neighborhoods surrounding the 2,700-acre Santa Susana Field Laboratory.

But Supervisor Linda Parks, who proposed the ordinance, said it would provide neighbors and potential home buyers with another level of security.

"I think it will prove useful to give developers a clean bill of health," Parks said during the 1 1/2 -hour debate over the ordinance that at times appeared to be doomed. "I think it's a responsible thing to do to know before we allow a housing developer to build there that the land isn't contaminated."

The ordinance will require housing developers to test for perchlorate and trichloroethylene within a two-mile radius of the rocket-testing lab. Perchlorate, the main ingredient in rocket fuel, has been detected in wells in Simi Valley and near the Ahmanson and Runkle ranches.

for the entire article, see
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/ventura/la-me-rocket4aug04,1,3388607.story?coll=la-editions-ventura

-- Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 http://www.cpeo.org

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacvgpaVxieSbnA7ruf/OmahaSteaks

CPEO: A DECADE OF SUCCESS. Your generous support will ensure that our important work on military and environmental issues will continue. Please consider one of our donation options. Thank you.