2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 11 Sep 2004 23:49:27 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] El Toro sale planned

Fall Auction for El Toro Parcels Set

'We are ready to go,' says a Navy official. The sales of the Marine base
land are expected to be completed by July.

By Daniel Yi
Los Angeles Times
September 11, 2004

Offering the most definitive timeline yet for the sale of the closed El
Toro Marine base to developers, a high ranking Navy official said Friday
that the auction for the land will begin this fall and be completed
before the end of July.

Demolition of the former military airfield's runway could begin shortly
after that, erasing the physical vestige of a political battle that
divided Orange County for a decade.

In a meeting with local developers and officials at a hotel in Newport
Beach, Wayne Arny, assistant secretary of the Navy for Installations and
Environment, said the Navy is preparing documents to invite bids on the
four parcels that comprise the 3,700 acres of base land.

"We are ready to go," Arny said. "We expect [the documents] to be
completed within a month or two?. The whole process should be finished
by the end of July with the close of escrows."

As soon as the property titles are transferred to civilian hands, the
work of redeveloping the base could begin with the clearing of the runways.

for the entire article, see
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-eltoro11sep11,1,7094009.story