2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 30 Sep 2004 22:41:32 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Looking for the Nuke

Air Force Begins Search of Wassaw Sound

Paul Rea
WSAV News 3 (GA)
September 29, 2004

They're Back

?This may belong to the U. S. Air Force. We have a responsibility to
check it out.? Air Force nuclear weapons expert Dr. Bill Mullins faced
the press on Wednesday in Savannah.

A physicist by training, Mullins has spent the last six years helping to
oversee U. S. nuclear stockpiles and trying to stop the spread of such
weapons with the Air Force Nuclear Weapons and Counterproliferation
Agency. His job this week in Georgia?s coastal city is to determine if
someone has found one of the nuclear bombs our country lost during the
Cold War.

"THE BOMB"

The weapon was onboard a bomber during a training mission in 1958. A mid
air collision damaged the plane and the crew decided to dump the MK 15
nuclear device rather than risk a bumpy landing with the weapon. The Air
Force searched for weeks in the waters near Savannah and Tybee Island
but did not recover the bomb. They classified it as ?irretrievably lost?
and it became the stuff of legend.

for the entire article, see
http://www.wsav.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSAV/MGArticle/SAV_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031778243000&path=!frontpage