2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 30 Sep 2004 21:57:03 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Online Petition and International Day of Action

Submitted by Jana Walsh <reininthunder@earthlink.net>

I know I'm not the only person who will take issue with this for
probably seemingly silly reasons...but, if there was, in fact, a ban on
uranium weapons, how could the US citizens actually feel safe in a
position to defend ourselves against those who WILL violate any kind of
weapons ban.  I have no doubt that America has its cache of outlawed
weapons...  To even introduce a ban at this time and get support from
the general population, you are asking for us to trust in our the powers
in Washington, DC to keep us safe.  I sincerely doubt other countries
would even consider a ban started in the US as something they would want
to participate...because we do not have a very good reputation as a
country in general...with Iraq, and the other deep divides in our
legislature and people.  This is not unsubstantiated paranoia on my part
nor my personal political persuasion speaking...it is what I engage in
daily with the people I live.  There is simply too much hate toward the
Americans and a lack of trust and respect, in my opinion.   With that
being said, how could any of us actually feel safe without feeling like
we had some sort of mass destructive weapon, even if it is secret, when
there is an unsettling aura of a full blown all out world war coming on.
 The sad thing is, and as contradictory as it sounds, I do not want to
see countries like North Korea making uranium weapons.  And, while I do
not subscribe typically to the idea of 'do as I say, not as I do, in the
case of protection for the World's Super Power, I feel very unsafe these
days...something that has been fueled as the Iraq fiasco continues to
grow with no end in sight and the continued efforts by other rogue
countries who have a need to build weapons of mass destruction...I can't
help thinking about Pearl Harbor. The bottom line for me is I don't feel
safe with them or without them.
  Jana Walsh