2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Tara Thornton <Tara@miltoxproj.org>
Date: 28 Sep 2004 20:17:06 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Online Petition and International Day of Action

The ICBUW special mail news, Sept. 26, 2004

Join us for

The Online Petition Campaign

&

The International Day of Action, Nov.6

* *

* *

*[1] **Participate in the International Petition!*

* *

The Online Petition Campaign has started on the ICBUW website!!!

Just click the “petition” on the top page at http://www.bandepleteduranium.org <http://www.bandepleteduranium.org/> and you will find it.

* *

Now you can sign the petition for banning uranium weapons from anywhere around the world. Please sign it yourself right away and urge your friends to do so, too.

This petition campaign will continue till the realization of a Ban Treaty, but we have set our first deadline on February 15, 2005, so that we can appeal to the EU Parliament or to NGO’s involved the UN Disarmament Committee to be held in Geneva next spring. (See ICBUW’s homepage for a downloadable petition form.)

*[2] November 6 is*

* The International Action Day*

* for Banning Uranium Weapons!*

November 6 has been set by UN as the International Day for Preventing the Exploitation of the Environment in War and Armed Conflict. ICBUW calls upon you to engage, in your own areas, in actions for banning uranium weapons.

Just having a small-scale study meeting or doing a one-man petition on the street will contribute a lot to gathering momentum for the International campaign. So please join us!

<>* *The following is the present list of plans by the ICBUW members. (As of Sept. 15)
/Listed in the alphabetical order of the country names/

*Belgium*

Brussels (Nov.5) by The Belgium Coalition for ICBUW

   * We will visit to the Prime Minister, and to the Ministries of
     Defense and Foreign Affairs, and hand them over a copy of the
     collected petitions. During these meeting we will convey them our
     Coalition’s demands concerning uranium weapons.
   * At the same time outside the buildings, there will be some actions
     to visualize our aims. Leaflets, petition forms and booklets will
     be available at an info-table.
   * In the early evening we will gather with our grassroots
     supporters in front of the stairways of the Beurs-building (Center
     of Brussels) to announce the results of our negotiations with the
     governmental bodies.
   * For Mother Earth Belgium, a member of the Belgian Coalition for
     ICBUW) has agreed to work on an action in Brussels (maybe a street
     theater) in cooperation with the trade union. Greenpeace Belgium
     agreed to cooperate as well.

(The Belgian Coalition will have an action day on the 5th of November, a Friday, because it is a working day and we have access to different Ministries that day. Ministry of Defense already allowed us to meet with officials, we are trying to get an appointment at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and with the Prime Minister)

*England*

Manchester (Nov. 3 & Nov.6) by CADU (Campaign against Depleted Uranium)

   * A public meeting with Joanne baker and hopefully a Gulf War
     veteran (Nov.3)
   * Some publicity in the city centre with a stall and some kind of
     theatre, etc., to try and get media attention. Maybe also
     something else. (Nov.6)

*Italy*

Florence (Nov.4) by PeaceLink

   * March and an event, inviting soldiers and soldiers families to
     witness their experience, and involving also volunteers
     associations, scientists as well as people from Iraq and Bosnia,
     and so on.

(In Italy, November 4 is the festive day for the Italian army since the First World War, and every year there's a military parade in Rome; and, of course, all the pacifists organize alternative events all over the country. In addition, PeaceLink, ICBUW’s member holds an annual meeting around this time in Florence. We will call also for all the pacifist associations to have this issue in their agenda for that day.)

*Japan*

Sapporo (6^th ) by NO!!DU!!Sapporo Project

* (concrete plan undecided)

Tokyo (7th)

* A gathering

Osaka (6^th ) by Campaign Against Radiation Exposure

* (concrete plan undecided)

Kobe (6^th ) by NO DU Kobe

* (concrete plan undecided)

Hiroshima (Nov.6) by NO DU Hiroshima Project

   * A gathering at a park by the A-bomb Dome, with some music
     performance and speeches as well as a mini photo-exhibition on
     Iraq war and the DU damage.

* Afterwards a petition campaign at on the street in the city center.

(Though by chance, on Nov. 6 the Peace Studies Association of Japan is to hold a symposium, “The International Campaigns to Ban DU Weapons and the Civil Society’s Roles,” at its annual conference in Tokyo. Nobuo Kazashi, director of No DU Hiroshima Project will be a panelist.)

*Netherlands*

* Haag (Nov.6) by The Netherlands Coalition for ICBUW ()

* Lecture/discussion with Keith Baverstock and Manfred Mohr

* **

From the list of active/supporting members (59 groups, 17 countries, as of Sept, 2004: in the alphabetical order of the countries’ names)

* *

*Belgium*:For Mother Earth/ Stop USA Belgium/ ACB-CSC Brussels (Christian Labour Union)/ Mouvement Chrétien pour la Paix (Bruxelles) *Canada*:IICPH=International Institute of Concern for Public Health *England*:CADU/ Our Common Future/ Bertrand Russell Peace Foundation *France*:WILPF=Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom-France *Germany*:IPPNW-Germany/ IALANA-Germany *Holland*:LAKA Foundation/ RISQ/ VD/AMOK* * *India*:IIPDP=Indian Institute for Peace, Disarmament and Environmental Protection (Nagpur)/SEEDS India (Kerala) *Italy*:Peacelink *Japan*:NO DU Hiroshima Project/ Campaign Against Radiation Exposure (Osaka)/ Hiroshima Alliance for Nuclear Weapons Abolition/ Nagasaki’s Testimonial Society/ IPPNW-Kyoto/ Japan Congress Against A- and H-Bombs (Gensuikin)/ ANT-Hiroshima (Asian Network of Trust in Hiroshima)/ Global Association for Banning DU Weapons (Hiroshima)/ Association fro Peace Exchange with Indian and Pakistan Youth (Hiroshima/ New Humanism Forum-Yokohama/ Save the Earth Action ‘)’ (SEA’97)/ Campaign for Citizens’ Group Against Nuclear Power Plants (Takarazuka)/ UWBAN=Uranium Weapons Prohibition Treaty Realization Campaign/ Campaign for DU Abolition (Tokyo)/ NO!! DU!! Sapporo Project/ Stop! DU Campaign (Tokyo)/ Human Shield Kobe/ Hiroshima Earth Village/ *Kosova*: KYN=Kosovo Youth Network *New Zealand*:Peace Movement Aotearoa *Pakistan*:SPADO=Sustainable Peace & Development Organization (Peshawar) *Romania*: MamaTerra *Switzerland*:PSR=Physians for Social Responsibility/IPPNW-Switzerland *Ukrane*:Ukrainian Peacekeepers Association (Soldiers of Peace) *USA*:Center for Peace and Justice/ Military Toxics Project/ IDUST/ Grassroots Actions for Peace/ Centre for Safe Energy/ Nuclear Guardianship Project (Berkeley, California)/ Global Peacemakers Association (Atlanta)/ Ground Zero Center for Non-Violent Action (Washington)/ Veterans for Peace, 3 chapters in MASS./ BANDU (Arizona)/ Merrimack Valley People for Peace/ Baring Witness (California)/ Center for Safe Energy of the Earth Island Institute (Berkeley, California) / CSUN=Coalition for a Strong United Nations/ Global Network Against Weapons and Nuclear Power in Space/ ZOR Foundation (Florida) *Puerto Rico*: Prorescate Vieques=The Committee for the Rescue and Development of Vieques/ etc.