2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 18 Oct 2004 23:59:55 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Memphis Depot cleanup

Depot cleanup going deep

Plan would put 'bugs' to work on pollutants underground

By Tom Charlier
Memphis Commercial Appeal
October 18, 2004

To clean up years worth of toxic contamination at the old defense depot, environmental officials plan to conduct something akin to an elaborate chemistry experiment 80 feet underground.

The $17 million-plus in proposed cleanup measures for the South Memphis facility call for injecting substances into the ground that will make chemical contaminants vulnerable to attack by naturally occurring micro-organisms that render them innocuous.

The practices, some of which have never been used in the Memphis area, are newly developed alternatives to costly and inefficient measures that involved pumping contaminated groundwater to the surface and disposing of it.

"This is the way it should be working. I wish we'd known about this (process) years ago," said Jim Morrison, technical project manager for the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation's division of superfund. "We're just setting up conditions for Mother Earth to start mending itself."

for the entire article, see http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local_news/article/0,1426,MCA_437_3262295,00.html

-- Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 http://www.cpeo.org