2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 22 Dec 2004 16:08:19 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Pasadena perchlorate

City could be forced to close more wells

By Gary Scott
Pasadena Star-News (CA)
December 21, 2004

PASADENA -- A perchlorate plume threatens to close more Pasadena water
wells, and frustrated city officials say they have no choice but to
treat the groundwater themselves and send the bill to NASA.

Nine city-owned wells have been closed since 1997, when perchlorate was
first detected in the Raymond Basin aquifer. City officials say NASA's
Jet Propulsion Laboratory is the source for the contamination.

A 10th well is beginning to show levels of the chemical contaminant,
according to Pasadena Water and Power officials, and may eventually have
to be shut down if the plume is not halted.

"We believe that at this point we need to do something now to contain
the perchlorate plume and then work out the responsibility and any
potential reimbursement,' said Phyllis Currie, general manager of PWP.

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/Stories/0,1413,206~22097~2612144,00.html