2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 2 Feb 2005 16:55:20 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] "Sprawl closes in on military facilities"

Sprawl closes in on military facilities

By Haya El Nasser
USA TODAY
February 2, 2005

LUKE AIR FORCE BASE, Ariz. ? This is where F-16 fighter pilots train for
war. The sleek, pointy-nosed "Fighting Falcons" take off and land 150
times a day. They zoom off to the Barry M. Goldwater Range to practice
air-to-air combat and drop real bombs on simulated targets.

The Sonoran Desert seems like an ideal, out-of-the-way spot for such
noisy and dangerous war exercises. And it was ? 60 years ago.

"We were out in the boonies," says Col. Robin Rand, Luke's commander.
"For many years, we didn't have to worry about community relations."

Now, they do. The boonies are fast disappearing, and combat training and
suburbia don't mix.

>From here on the outskirts of Phoenix to Naval Air Station Oceana in
Virginia Beach, military bases are reaching out to local communities and
environmentalists to become better neighbors and ensure that vital
training can continue as subdivisions and schools edge closer to base gates.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-02-02-military-sprawl_x.htm