2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 28 May 2005 04:35:57 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] U.S. Department of Energy's Albany Research Center (OR)

Drinking Water Danger

By Dana Rebik
KVAL-13 TV (OR)
May 27, 2005

Albany -

We first told you about groundwater contamination at Liberty Elementary
School in Albany in April.

The Department of Environmental Quality has been investigating the
Albany Research Center as the source of the toxic trouble.  The DEQ
found that the chemical TCE, a solvent used to clean machinery, seeped
into the groundwater and spread across the street to the school.  But
now the problem could be worse than originally thought.

"Our initial concern when we found out about the TCE problem was Liberty
Elementary School, and now we're getting a sense for what's going on at
Liberty so we need to make sure no one else in the area is getting
exposed to TCE by drinking it in their water wells," says Geoff Brown of
the DEQ.

Brown says they are going to start testing the wells within a two block
radius of ARC in the middle of June.

For the entire story, see
http://www2.kval.com/x30530.xml?ParentPageID=x2649&ContentID=x50651&Layout=kval.xsl&AdGroupID=x30530