2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 29 Jun 2005 16:45:56 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Tallevast (FL) workers' beryllium sensitivity

1 in 10 Tallevast workers test positive

DONNA WRIGHT
Bradenton Herald (FL)
June 29, 2005

One of every 10 former Loral American Beryllium Co. workers screened
through a federal program tested positive for beryllium sensitivity,
according to the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education in Tennessee.

The 10 percent positive rate is normal among workers who machined the
rare but toxic metal, said Dr. Donna Cragle, director for the Center for
Epidemiologic Research in Oak Ridge, Tenn.

"So far we have tested 132 people and we have found 13 who have an
abnormal test result," Cragle said.

One abnormal or positive test qualifies workers for medical benefits
through a federal compensation program for atomic weapons workers who
did work for the U.S. Department of Energy during the Cold War, Cragle said.

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/12011276.htm