2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 13 Jul 2005 20:27:34 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Proposed Paducah (KY) buy-out

U.S. may study buyout around Paducah plant
Chemicals tainted land's groundwater

By James R. Carroll
Louisville Courier-Journal (KY)
July 10, 2005

KEVIL, Ky. -- Ronald Lamb was outraged and demanded government compensation after discovering in 1994 that his water well had been tainted by pollution from the nearby Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant.

Now, Lamb said he's intrigued by a measure before Congress calling for the government to study buying the properties of families whose homes and farms sit on top of a plume of groundwater contaminated by degreasing solvents and radioactive chemicals.

"At one time I would not have sold, but if the price was right I would listen," said Lamb, a mechanic who unsuccessfully sued over the pollution. "I hope they don't think they will get it for nothing."

It's not clear how much Lamb and other owners of about 120 homes sitting above 10 billion gallons of contaminated groundwater might get, or how ongoing cleanup efforts would be affected.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050710/NEWS0104/507100431/1008/NEWS01