2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 12 Aug 2005 07:00:55 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] San Diego Bay (CA) cleanup order

S.D. Bay cleanup plan goes forward

Board votes to go on with order to dredge sediment

By Mike Lee
SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE
August 11, 2005

Precedent-setting efforts to clean up some of the most contaminated
sediment in San Diego Bay will move ahead as planned after
water-pollution officials yesterday rejected a proposal that could have
further delayed the project.

"I'd like to see the bay cleaned up before I die," said Richard Wright,
a member of the San Diego Regional Water Quality Control Board.

The board voted unanimously to continue with a $96 million preliminary
cleanup order issued in April rather than trying to set targets for how
clean the sediment needs to be. The board is expected to rely on
guidelines it has used in more than a half-dozen similar orders issued
since the mid-1980s.

Other parties named in the order are Chevron, BP, the Navy, San Diego
Gas & Electric Co., the City of San Diego and the parent companies of a
former bayside tenant named San Diego Marine Construction Corp.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20050811-9999-7m11bay.html