2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 12 Aug 2005 08:39:02 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Whose TCE at former California missile site?

County and feds battle over TCE cleanup at former Titan I-A Missile site

Richard Myers
Auburn Journal (CA)
August 12, 2005

Similar to the pressure between America and the USSR during the Cold
War, tensions today are high between the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
and Placer County over the Titan I-A Missile site near Lincoln.

The USACE is battling the county over which agency is responsible for
the cleanup of Tri-chlorethylene at the site.

TCE is a solvent, or degreaser, said Jim Durfee, director of Placer
County's Department of Facility Services.

"They are trying to blame the county for the TCE in the groundwater,"
Durfee said.
Since the early 1990s, the USACE has been sampling a portion of the
55-acre site. But now, Durfee said, the USACE is looking to pull out,
citing the county caused the TCE, not the former missile base.

http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2005/08/12/news/top_stories/09cleanup.txt